What we do

We are a small group of riders in North County San Diego. We have 5 major things we do. We ride from Dave's house on Wednesday nights, drink beer after the ride, go on W5 rides when it rains, trail building, and see what bike Will brings to the rides. Rumor has it he is building a new one yet again.

These days we are all about 29ERS. We also do 8/12/24 hour Mtn Biking. See us at 12 hours of Temecula

Our weekly rides
Wednesday night ride - 6:30pm
Friday morning ride - 6:30am

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

29ER lore @ ECBS - Where did it all start?

Wow how lucky were we to have a garage full of 29er demo bikes for the month of January. If you have not had a chance to do a real off road ride on a "big wheel" mountain bike than now is your chance. This whole demo thing has got me thinking about 29ers and my own experience with them. Those who know me know I go through a lot of bikes. I do that for two reasons first because I can, and second because I enjoy experimenting. Every now and then I sell a bike only to realize months later that I really miss it.

The Gary Fisher X-Caliber was just such a bike. It was about 3 years ago that I owned it and it was my first 29er bike. The X-Cal was an aluminum hardtail with SRAM x-9 level components and an 80mm Rock Shox Reba fork. At the time I also owned a Titus Racer-X 4 inch travel full suspension bike. I still remember when I discovered the wonder of the big wheels. It was on a ride at Flight Line in Carlsbad (which is now closed those bastards). There was one particular rocky down hill section that I had ridden once before on my Titus, but it was quite difficult and scarey enough that I was hesitant to ride it again. I decided to try it on the X-Cal and to my suprise I found it easier. At first it didn't make sense, the Titus was a 4 inch travel bike front and rear and had a better fork, brakes, wheels and everything else. But what the Titus didn't have was 29" wheels. Thats right the 29" wheels made all the difference through the technical rock garden. I have since sold the Titus and the X-Cal, but I am sold on the 29" wheels. I will talk more about my current rides in another post.

1 comment:

DCallender said...

Here I have riding with you all this time and did not know the story of your 29er origins - Thanks for blogging